You can pre-configure user profiles for your Vista users by creating a default network profile for them ahead of time. To do this, follow these steps:
- Log on to a computer running Vista using a domain user account.
- Configure the computer as desired by changing its wallpaper etc.
- Log off, then log on again but this time using a Domain Admins account.
- Click Start, right-click on Computer, select Properties.
- Click Advanced System Settings, select the Advanced Settings tab, click Settings under User Profiles.
- Select the user profile created in step 2 above and click Copy To.
- Type \\\NETLOGON\Default User.v2 in the Copy To box.
- Click Change, type Everyone, click OK twice.
Doing these steps copies the customized user profile you created to the NETLOGON share on your domain controller. Now when a user logs on to their Vista computer for the first time, the computer will check this NETLOGON share, find a profile there named Default User.v2, and use this profile as the basis for creating a new user profile for the user.