If you host shared folders on a network you might want to enable auditing on those directories so you can see who makes changes via the Event Viewer. For example, you might want to see who deletes files or folders, especially if it wasn’t wanted as there is no recycle bin support for shared folders.
Here’s how to enable Auditing:
- Right click the file or folder you wish to track and click Properties.
- Select the Security tab and click the Advanced button.
- Select the Auditing tab and click Edit.
- Click Add and choose the members of the domain you want to monitor, or enter “everyone” to track all users, and then click OK.
- Select what you want to audit and click OK.
- Click OK on the dialogs.