NetLogon Service is very important for Domain Controllers. This service is started and configured to start Automatic when you promote a server to Domain Controller. If this service is not running then there are a few things which fail. This article explains the functionality of NetLogon service on Domain Controllers as mentioned below:
- This service is responsible for creating Secure Channel between Domain Controllers and client computers. Secure Channel is created to pass the authentication packets.
- Service performs the registration of SRV records, CNAME and other DC records in the DNS Server to advertise the availability of Domain Controllers in the domain.
- SRV Records registered by NetLogon Service are stored in C:\Windows\System32\Config\NetLogon.DNS File.
- Performs registration of SRV Records every 24 hours depending on the version of Operating System in use.
- Registers the SRV Records for a site where there is no Domain Controller. This is called Site Coverege.