- Click Start
- Click Control Panel
- Click User Accounts
- Click on the account which you want to create a password disk
- Click Prevent a forgotten password which starts the Forgotten Password Wizard . This is found under Related Tasks
- Insert a blank, formatted disk into drive A, and click Next
- Enter the password in the Current user account password
To use the recovery disk, at the Welcome screen
- Click the user name whose password is on the recovery disk
- Click the question mark button
This causes the Did you forget your password message to appear.
- Click use your password reset disk
This will start the Password Reset Wizard.
These instructions are for Windows XP workstation standalone in a workstation. The instructions are different if the workstation is a member of a domain.