- Runs CHKDSK on the partition containing Windows NT system files. On Intel x86 machines, also runs CHKDSK on the system partition if enabled manually.
- Verifies checksum for installation files is good, If files are missing or corrupt they are restored from the installation disks.
- Replaces the default system and security (SAM) Registry hives when requested.
- Reinstalls Boot Loader (boot sector, HAL, BOOT.INI, NTLDR) upon request
The ERD is specific to a particular PC. The HAL, BOOT.INI, and SAM specifically.
ERD Related Tips:
- NT ERD - never there when you need it
- Contents of NT ERD
- Steps Performed by the Emergency Repair Disk
- Disable a Service or Device that Prevents Windows NT from Booting
- Cracking Windows NT passwords
- Using the Emergency Repair Disk to Fix Windows NT Problems
- Repair Disk Secrets Reduce Downtime
- Patch Available for RDISK Registry Enumeration File" Vulnerability