The /s parm tells the repair disk utility to update the erd and repair directory data. The /s- tells the repair disk utility to NOT request a floppy to generate an new ERD but to update the \winnt\repair directory only. Once you have this process automated, you will not need to worry about having a current ERD disk.
OK. OK. You say, what if my harddrive fails and \winnt\repair is GONE. If you are in a network environment, the updated repair data should be copied to a file server for use in this case. If you are on your own, keep pushing those floppies into drive A: and generate updated ERDs.
ERD Related Tips:
- NT ERD - never there when you need it
- Contents of NT ERD
- Steps Performed by the Emergency Repair Disk
- Disable a Service or Device that Prevents Windows NT from Booting
- Cracking Windows NT passwords
- Using the Emergency Repair Disk to Fix Windows NT Problems
- Repair Disk Secrets Reduce Downtime
- Patch Available for RDISK Registry Enumeration File" Vulnerability