When Group Policy settings are refreshed manually or when the interval expires, there are a few event messages logged in the event viewer of the client computer at Applications and Services Logs | Microsoft | Windows | Group Policy | Operational location. Check below event entries in the event log to ensure GPO settings have been refreshed/applied successfully:
Event IDs and message
- 8000 Successful computer end event
- 8001 Successful user end event
- 8002 Successful computer network change event
- 8003 Successful user network change event
- 8004 Successful computer manual refresh event
- 8005 Successful user manual refresh event
- 8006 Successful computer periodic refresh event
- 8007 Successful user periodic refresh event
As stated above, Event ID 8004 and 8005 are logged in the event viewer on the client computers if the GPO settings are refreshed manually using the GPUpdate.exe command or other manual methods and Event ID 8006 and 8007 are generated if GPO settings are refreshed when interval expires.
About Nirmal Sharma
Nirmal is a MCSEx3, MCITP and was awarded Microsoft MVP award in Directory Services. He is specialized in Directory Services, Microsoft Clustering, Hyper-V, SQL and Exchange and has been involved in Microsoft Technologies since 1994. In his spare time, he likes to help others and share some of his knowledge by writing tips and articles. Nirmal can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.