Windows 2000 has a method to allow members of normal user groups or power users to plug in USB devices and install device drivers:
- Logon with administrative rights.
- Double-click on Administrative Tools in Control Panel.
- Double-click the Local Security Policy object.
- Double-click the User Rights Assignment.
- Select Load and unload device drivers from the list. By default, only the Administrators group has this right.
- Double-click the entry.
- Click the Add button.
- Select one or more users (or an appropriate group, such as Power Users) and add those accounts to the list to grant this right.
- Reboot to make effective.