All is not lost. You can use the Esentutl.exe tool to resolve the problem.
Operation failed because the database was inconsistent.
Initialize jet database failed; cannot access file.
Error while performing soft recovery.
- To perform an integrity check
- Start a command prompt
- Type the following command (including the quotation marks), and then press ENTER: esentutl /g "path\ntds.dit"/!10240 /8 /v /x /o
where path is the path to the folder that contains the Ntds.dit db file. By default, this folder is %systemRoot%\NTDS folder.
- To repair the database:
- Type the following command (including the quotation marks), and then press ENTER: esentutl /p "path\ntds.dit" /!10240 /8 /v /x /o
Important: Delete the database log files from the Ntds folder. Do not delete or move the Ntds.dit file.
- Event ID: 1008 After Upgrading Windows NT 4.0 DHCP or WINS Server to Windows 2000
- ESE Hangs Following Rollback After JetPrepareUpdate
- How to Recover from Event ID 1168 and Event ID 1003
- Extensible Storage Engine Database Becomes Corrupted During Consistency Check
- Cannot Repair the Active Directory Database by Using the Ntdsutil Tool