Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced Backup Exec 2012 to help users eliminate complexity, perform backups in 100 percent virtualized environments and deliver instantaneous and cloud-based recovery through a single solution. As part of the new release, Symantec transformed Backup Exec's user interface and configurability to provide a significantly simpler customer experience. Symantec is also expanding its leading technology to small businesses with Backup Exec Small Business Edition and Backup Exec.cloud, enabling growing organizations to back up their information in three simple steps in less than 10 minutes.
"Backup is a critical part of a protection strategy, and with mounting digital assets and shrinking IT budgets, growing organizations need to find a way to keep costs down without compromising availability of their information," said Amit Walia, vice president, Information Management Group, Symantec. "With close to two million businesses worldwide trusting in Symantec Backup Exec, it is our responsibility to help IT professionals and small business owners become backup heroes."
Read Detailed blog post: What's New in Symantec Backup Exec 2012: http://bit.ly/yCgY9W
Backup Exec Portfolio Now Includes:
- Backup Exec V-Ray Edition: Backup Exec V-Ray Edition will give virtualization architects the option of having industry leading Backup Exec technology protect their 100 percent virtualized environment and the option to easily extend protection to physical environments, if needed, without having to buy a separate solution.
- Backup Exec Small Business Edition: In three simple steps, Backup Exec 2012 Small Business Edition will install and configure backups so small businesses with limited IT experience can protect their data with ease. Backup Exec Small Business Edition will bundle Symantec's data and system recovery technology into one affordable solution with a single license that's designed specifically for businesses with up to three servers.
- Backup Exec.cloud: As a stand-alone solution, Backup Exec.cloud provides small businesses with simple off-premise data protection through a fully secure cloud-based service that is easy to setup, manage and configure. Cloud backup is ideal for a small office with no IT staff or remote or mobile offices that need a set-it-and forget-it backup strategy.
- Backup Exec 3600 appliance: The Backup Exec 3600 appliance is an all-in-one, affordable data protection solution pre-packaged with Backup Exec and 5.5 TB of useable disk storage (available in North America only). Protects an unlimited number of servers and applications, whether physical or virtual, while reducing the backup window, storage and management costs.
Backup Exec 2012 will deliver the following benefits:
- Eliminate Backup Complexity with a New Administration Console: A newly redesigned administration console will provide users with fast, concise management, simplified experience, and monitoring capabilities. The new user interface will also automatically configure the most common and successful policies and settings, drawn both from Symantec's many years of experience and from the Backup Exec community, to allow for quick configuration of systems and protection of data and applications with minimal effort.
- Unite Virtual and Physical: Powered by Symantec V-Ray technology, Backup Exec 2012 enables visibility across both virtual and physical environments for fast and efficient backup and recovery while eliminating the need for specialized point products. Backup Exec 2012 will also provide true single file recovery, deduplication and backup management for VMware, Hyper-V or physical servers in a single product enabling significant storage and management savings.
- Integrated Disaster Recovery: With Backup Exec's integrated bare metal and "no hardware disaster recovery," organizations will be able to easily recover a failed system to a physical server, or to a Hyper-V or VMware guest. Backup Exec's powerful and patented recovery capabilities enable granular restore of entire virtual machines, single files, Active Directory objects, Exchange Emails, or SharePoint Documents from any single-pass physical, VMware or Hyper-V backup.
- Recovery in the Cloud: As part of the continued expansion into cloud technologies, Symantec will add Backup Exec Cloud DR Option powered by Doyenz to enable customers to leverage cloud Recovery as a Service (RaaS) for planned and unplanned system recovery in the cloud. Focused on Backup Exec customers, the service will initially be available in the United States and will focus on rapid recovery for VMware environments.
Symantec Backup Exec 2012 and Backup Exec Cloud DR option powered by Doyenz will be generally available for purchase in spring 2012 through Symantec's worldwide network of value-added authorized resellers, distributors and systems integrators or directly. Backup Exec.cloud is a service that was recently made available in the United States and Canada, and is now available in Western Europe.