Santa Clara, CA, May 19, 2008 – Silver Peak Systems, a leading provider of scalable Wide Area Network (WAN) acceleration solutions, today introduced the NX-9000, the newest member of the company's award winning NX family of appliances. The NX-9000 is the industry's first Gigabit WAN acceleration product, raising the bar for WAN performance and scale.
"The amount of data being generated by enterprises is growing at 50 – 60 percent year over year," said Bob Laliberte, analyst at ESG. "All of this data needs to be not only protected, but it also needs to be accessible from enterprise locations around the globe. Existing WAN links that provide connectivity to data centers and remote locations can get overwhelmed very quickly. Buying additional bandwidth to accommodate the data growth is prohibitively cost expensive. The convergence of rapid data growth and the need to transport large amounts of data for accessibility and/or protection creates a fundamental need for bigger and faster WAN optimization solutions."
Head of the Class
The NX-9000 supports up to 4 Gbps of bidirectional LAN side traffic and 1 Gbps of bidirectional WAN side traffic, with 8 TB of local data store available for WAN deduplication. The newest Silver Peak appliance delivers 4 times – 10 times the real-time throughput of competitive offerings. Other unique scalability advantages of the NX-9000 include:
- 10 Gbps Interfaces. The NX-9000 includes two 10Gbps interfaces and four 1Gbps interfaces with EtherChannel bonding for physical connectivity between Silver Peak appliances and network elements, which is required for deployment in data center environments. As more hosts turn to multi-Gbps interfaces, the NX-9000 has the capacity required to support the corresponding growth in data volumes.
- Industry Leading Flow Capacity: The NX-9000 supports over 256,000 simultaneous TCP flows, enabling hundreds of offices to be connected to a single appliance and more traffic to flow between devices.
- Wirespeed Encryption: Silver Peak NX appliances ensure that data is always secure – at rest and across the WAN. By performing encryption in hardware, this functionality takes place at wirespeed (with no impact on performance or scale).
- Accelerate all applications: Silver Peak optimizes all enterprise applications, including TCP traffic (file, email), real-time UDP traffic (VoIP, video), latency sensitive traffic (Citrix, data replication) and applications with dynamic data formats (AutoCAD, MS Excel).
Silver Peak offers the most scalable family of WAN acceleration appliances on the market today, from the NX-2000, which supports up to 2 Mbps of WAN traffic, to the NX-9000, which is the first and only Gbps WAN acceleration appliance. Customers using Silver Peak's NX appliances include AT&T, AutoDesk, Ball Corporation, Capgemini, Ernst & Young, Finisar, Linklaters, Texas Instruments, VMware and many other enterprises.
Elevating WAN Performance
The NX-9000 is ideal for a variety of "high volume" data environments, including SAN replication, access to centralized databases, remote office backup, video streaming and application delivery from centralized servers. Like all Silver Peak NX appliances, the NX-9000 utilizes the following advanced optimization technologies to improve WAN bandwidth efficiency and accelerate application performance:
- Network Memory™: The industry's leading solution for disk-based WAN deduplication. Network Memory is the only WAN deduplication solution that works on latency sensitive traffic and both TCP and non-TCP applications.
- Network Acceleration: Silver Peak employs various acceleration techniques that minimize latency caused by TCP and other "chatty" protocols.
- Network Integrity: Silver Peak is the only WAN optimization vendor to address lost and out-of-order packets in real-time using adaptive Forward Error Correction (FEC) and Packet Order Correction (POC). In addition, advanced queuing/scheduling and application-based Quality of Service (QoS) policies help enterprises avoid congestion and prioritize business-critical applications.
"It is becoming increasingly common for enterprises to deploy Gigabit WAN connections using MPLS, IP VPNs and similar 'shared' technologies," said Jeff Aaron, director of marketing at Silver peak. "Silver Peak is the only vendor to address the unique bandwidth, latency and loss issues inherent to these environments. With the NX family of appliances, enterprises get the most out of all of their WAN connections – from the smallest branch office to the largest data center."
About Silver Peak Systems, Inc.
Silver Peak improves backup, replication and recovery between data centers and facilitates branch office server and storage centralization by improving application performance across the Wide Area Network (WAN). The company's award winning NX appliances deliver exceptional performance improvements with unprecedented security and scalability across all enterprise applications, including data replication, backup, file transfers, email, web and real-time applications such as Citrix and VoIP. For more information, visit http://www.silver-peak.com/infocenter